Sunday, September 5, 2010

Introducing Sue Michael - Workshop Participant, Adelaide, South Australia



Sue Michael
Adelaide August 2010

During my childhood, my family travelled extensively across Australia in a caravan. My Grandparents could never travel this far due to work/ farming commitments. I too am like them. It has been 24 years since I have had more than a couple of days travelling across a state border. Those childhood vistas occupy my thoughts even now. This painting ‘Great Divide,’ is inspired by old slides. I have collaged 35mm slides, made tritpography- like images using dual projectors, then finally mixing our family’s slides from the 1960’s and 70’s.with stranger’s holiday snapshots. New landscapes emerged from my experimentations. The eyes stare back.

I must cross those borders once again to visit the earth energies.




My collaboration with Lindi Harris’s image continues the theme of longing to return to the earth energies that I was acutely aware of as a child.

Suitcases will be photographed at various locations around Adelaide.

Lindi’s original image has gone through a few photographic abstractions and been replicated into ‘tiles’. I have covered three suitcases resulting in a French toile feel to these Australian landscapes. Other peoples’ hearts always go with you when you travel. Vessels for these well wishes are supplied with the luggage tags.

The Earth's waters are both boundaries and pathways for peoples, objects and ideas.
Fumio Nanjo

No comments: