Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Day 3 - Fusion

Here's some more glass sculptures I've finished.  One of my glass sculptures reminds me of Pounamu or New Zealand green stone.  So, I've titled it Pounamu Gong Khao (Rice box) - how's that for fusing Maori with Thai?.  My other fusion creation today was when I cooked Roti Canai (type of Malaysian flat bread) with bacon! (never seen in roti in Muslim countries where most Roti Canai is eaten at Mamak (Indian Muslim) restaurants) with cheese, tomatoes, onions, garlic and olive mix.  Delicious.  (Yum - is an inappropriate word in Vietnamese I was told when we were in Vietnam).

Bringing the glass sculptures through customs was fun.  On the scan they look like liquid (as does wax by the way).  So, when I was asked to open my suitcase, I knew what they wanted.  Luckily, they weren't wrapped in underwear and customs only wanted to see one sculpture.  I'll have to remember to pack carefully next time because my suitcase was exposed to full view.  Bringing in drugs carries the death penalty so it's a relief when it's only glass they find and not some illicit substance someone has sneaked into my bag!

:) Wendy

Posted via email from Wendy's posterous

3 comments:

Curator-artist Wendy Grace Allen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

i think your latest green glass works have very real appeal.i like the aesthetics combined with the jade greens and the new zealand/thai fusion....they're strong and they're weighty!
go Wendy!!! - Lise

Curator-artist Wendy Grace Allen said...

Thanks Lise,

I'm happy with them too. The way the colours fused giving the stone look was an unexpected gift!