Friday, November 6, 2009

Day 6 - City of Angels (Krung Thep)

Emerald Gong Khao (Rice Box)
Emerald Gong Khao (Rice Box)
Emerald Gong Khao (Rice Box) from above
Emerald Gong Khao (Rice Box) from above

Early this evening I'm flying from Penang Island to Bangkok or in Thai it's pronounced:

Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Ayuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit

In the official English romanisation, this is certified as the longest place name in the world in the Guinness book of records.

So, Thai's understandably call their capital city Krung Thep (for short) meaning City of Angels. I haven't discovered any angels there yet but who knows, maybe I was looking in the wrong places?

The purpose of my trip is to go to the bronze foundry about and hour and a half outside of Bangkok.   I left my sculpture there for the foundry to pour the bronze as I don't have access to the extensive facilities necessary for a foundry here.  If I'm happy with the result, and the foreigner (farang) price, I will leave them other sculptures.

In the meantime, I've been making a silicon mould of my sculpture to cast.  It isn't finished so there's no photo yet.

So, pictured above is the last cast glass sculpture I've just finished.   I'll be taking my glass to Bangkok in preparation for my exhibition next year.   It's cheaper for me to carry them rather then use a courier and as I have many pieces to transport it makes sense to take them early.

Oh, and my painting is still in progress ...

Next post from The City of Angels...

Wendy

Posted via email from Wendy's posterous

No comments: